Pictures of us

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Another picture slideshow by Smilebox

Thursday, February 7, 2008

How is a walk theraputic?

W-A-L-K! I love to WALK!!! This week Tara and I went for a walk with a boy (he is 9 years old)who needed to find better ways to release his anger. I was not a good walker that day, but I think it helped him learn to keep his cool and help me learn the best way to walk down a side walk. I really wanted to visit all the cars and the guy dressed up like Lady Liberty with the tax people looked like he wanted a hug! (We usually walk in our neighorhood and this was down a big road near our office). This client did great at keeping up with me and reminding me that I had to be a good walker or we would return to the office. I heared he and Tara talking about how your heart rate increasing in productive ways helps reduce anger and stress. He did great at identiying ways to increase his heart rate and thus reduce anger within himself. Ideas he had were to skateboard, walk his dog, run with his friends, jump on the trampoline, swim in the pool, play football, and ride his bike. Remember sometimes a dog is a companion enough to work through emotions and other ideas would be to play catch with your dog, go for a run, or if you are big like me...sometimes gentle wrestling is fun and wears us both out! Another pointer for those looking for a way to talk to someone about something hard...Tara mentioned walking and driving in the car are great because you can naturally avoid eye contact in case it is a tough converesation!
Ok nap time for me...Abbey is already asleep! Thanks for reading!

No comments: